Dear WHC Families,
It’s SHOWCASE WEEK!
Teams are gearing up for their final practices prior to this weeks’ showcase. It is imperative that you attend all practices this week. This, as I’ve said before, is the number 1 impediment to a team’s success. You have to be there to succeed. Please practice your counts at home, most of the FB groups have the routine music posted for download, or I can email it to you, just let me know. I cannot stress to you enough how important attendance is for the teams’ benefit.
Show Case Details:
WHC will be having our first ever showcase on Saturday, January 24. Things you need to know:
- All athletes are required to be at the Spryfield Lion’s Rink by 12:15 pm for a practice time. The coaches will have the teams scheduled one after another, but we’d like all athletes to be there by 12:15 pm. You should wear whatever outfit has been told to you by your coaches.
- Doors will be open for family/parents spectators starting at approximately 1:30 pm.
- Cost is $5 per adult, and $2 per child who is 10 or younger. (WHC athletes do not pay for admittance).
- Showcase will begin at 2 pm and run for approximately 1 hour.
We would love some volunteers to help meet us at Halifax Cheer Elite’s gym at 11:30 am to load the truck with their mats, and then set up at the rink. We will not require anyone to take the mats back, as Elite will be having their showcase later that evening. If you are available or interested in helping with the showcase, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cheer Blast is fast approaching!! Please make all efforts to attend every practice, as it’s crucial to our success.
Every year, WHC in partnership with Scotia Cheerleading all-stars HOST Cheer Blast at Exhibition Park. We require a LOT of help from our awesome parents to make this a success. I’ve created a link on our website, http://www.westhalifaxcheer.com/cheer-blast-volunteer-schedule where I will be tracking the volunteers. We need lots of help with lots of things! A few things to remember:
- We need help tearing down our floor on Friday, January 30th and loading it into a truck, and then setting it up at Exhibition park. We will also need help dismantling it Sunday afternoon after the competition and setting it up again at our gym.
- We are in charge of SATURDAY. We do the doors, the security, 50/50, basically EVERYTHING on Saturday.
- We have a specific WHC fundraising table that I will need parents to work on both Saturday and Sunday. I will also still require a few floaters to provide SCA parents relief on Sunday. There is not as many of them as there are of us.
- We will need some helping in the setting up of the facility on Friday night.
- We will need lots of food for the volunteer room (this is for the coaches,
competition volunteers, and the judges). Anything you can bring will be appreciated. I put some suggestions on the site, but if you can offer to bring something, please let me know.
- If you are volunteering to WORK the competition (i.e. you will be performing duties on Saturday, not including the WHC booth), then you can get a Cheer Blast volunteer shirt. If you are working the WHC booth, you can just wear some WHC garb please!
- Please volunteer to help wherever you can!! I will be updating the website often as the emails come in, so please check it to make sure I’ve copied down your desired shifts properly. I sometimes miss a FB comment or email, so please make sure if you volunteered, that I captured your shifts properly!
Schedule changes/additions this week:
Sunday, January 25, 2015
Mini Prodigy has an extra practice from 11-1:30 (with a lunch break). Parents of Mini Prodigy: Since your children are the youngest competitive team, it is crucial that they attend all practices, especially these make up practices, in which they get the gym to themselves (no distractions!). This team has had a lot of attendance issues, due to various reasons, but it has put the team in a position to be behind the ideal state for this time of year. Please work with your children at home on their counts, and make all efforts to attend all practices between now and Cheer Blast. Where Cheer Blast is our competition – we can choose how we schedule the routines. If these children are not able to do their routine without coach intervention by Cheer Blast – we will still have them judged, but they will be unable to be eligible for placement. This is not the worst option in the world – it gives them a chance to perform their routine in front of an audience, receive feedback from the judges for improvement for the next competition, and will give them the confidence they need. The decision to have them compete against other teams, or be judged alone will be made just prior to Cheer Blast. Note that this does not indicate that the team should stop working so hard – we just have a contingency plan in place that considers the athletes safety as the number one priority. Kerry and Rachel (and their junior coaches) have been pushing these kids hard, and they have made leaps and bounds of progress in the past couple of months. We just want to be sure they are fully ready when it is time for them to compete. This is a last resort, but we wanted to prepare the parents/athletes for this possibility. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.
Precision has an extra practice from 7-9 pm on Sunday, January 25, 2015.
Uniforms: Everyone has been asking when the uniforms will arrive. They are scheduled to arrive on January 29th, so we will have them in time for Cheer Blast!
Mini Prodigy’s uniforms will be distributed at tonight’s practice. Team Mom Susie will have them in the office for you.
Bows: Bows are being distributed this week. The Mini Innovation and Tiny Wonder teams will get their bows at the showcase on Saturday. Your coaches/team moms will be distributing them at this weeks’ practices.
Competition Schedule/Things to know:
I will be sending an email closer to Cheer Blast with a lot of competition information. Included will be a schedule of what time each team is required to be at Exhibition Park, what time their “Team Mom Check In “ time is, what time they are warming up and what time they will be performing. I will also include lots of other information regarding competitions. If you would like to ask your team moms about competitions, feel free, they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the do’s and don’ts of the competitions! Rest assured I will email out a lot more competition information by the end of this week. We are still finalizing the performance schedule (there are over 70 teams at Cheer Blast this year!!) and once it’s finalized, I will communicate that to you. Stay tuned for this information later this week. Note that the pre-competitive teams Tiny Wonder and Mini Innovation only perform on Sunday, February 1, 2015 (not on Saturday).
Winter boots on our mats: Please stop walking on our mats with your winter boots on or any outside footwear!
Lost and Found box is getting full! Please check to see if anything you own is in it.
Broadcast Text Messaging: I am collecting cell phone numbers to be able to mass text message everyone in the event of a storm cancellation, or other emergency-type announcement. If you’d like to be added to my distribution list, please text me “WHC 2015 and YOUR NAME” to (902) 717-2503. If you forget to give me your name, I will ask J For those of you who signed up already – thanks!
Recreational Tumbling Program: We are running another 8-week tumbling program that is taught jointly by Hugh and Ashlee (same as last time). The cost is $70, and the maximum registrants per class are 10 persons. This is now open to EVERYONE (even non WHC athletes). These classes are almost FULL!! To register, go here: http://profile.eventarc.com/profile/WHC123. This program will begin on Saturday, February 7and run for 8 weeks. Classes are divided by level.
Learn to Cheer and Tumble Registration Open! For those of you who are interested in another Learn to Cheer and Tumble session (recreational cheer), the link is now open. The cost is $100, and is intended to be an introduction to cheer for those who are not ready to commit to all-star or even pre-competitive cheer. The link is: http://profile.eventarc.com/profile/WHC123. Please pass this notice on to anyone you think might be interested in this program! The dates are February 8 and run for 8 weeks.
Have a great week.